Facebook Linkedin Twitter

Rose Garden

Designed in 1932 as the Jardin Potager – Horticultural Garden, or more commonly, the Vegetable Garden – next to the then western border of the estate, the Rose Garden is now one of the Park’s most important locations, characterised by the rigorously geometric design of the boxwood flower beds that house roses on the lower level and a pergola of climbing roses on the upper level, with a gently modernized classical design.

The Rose garden was originally enclosed to the South and West, by fences that supported climbing plants, and thus constituted an open-air salon surrounded by walls of green vegetation. The garden still maintains this character, although the walls have since been substituted by hedges. The small circular fountain close to the centre of the garden, formerly pertained to the garden in Carlos Alberto Cabral’s family estate.

On the Eastern border, there is a magnificent Sweet Chestnut tree that is currently one of the most significant trees in the Park.


Next to the stairs leading up to the Museum garden, there’s an olive tree that’s almost 1500 years old and forms part of the History of Portugal. This olive tree has an average perimeter at chest height of 4,86 metres, an average base perimeter 6,82 metres and a trunk height of 2,10 metres. It was symbolically donated to the Serralves Foundation by the company Oliveira da Serra, in order to celebrate their joint commitment to promoting environmental sustainability and creating a new space in Serralves Park to host educational initiatives related to the environment and olive groves.


« return


Support this project.
Become a member.


Rua D. João de Castro, 210
4150-417 Porto Portugal
41º 9'35.40"N
8º39'35.35ºW
Serralves