Access for People with Disabilities
Aware of the growing dynamics to foster inclusiveness and universal accessibility, the Serralves Foundation intends to increase the levels of accessibility to all its facilities and services, thereby valorising its offer and its Heritage assets. This will be achieved through adaptation of its spaces, reception conditions, facilities, mediation initiatives and information support, tailored to the specific needs of all visitors, ensuring inclusive reception and access to cultural and environmental enjoyment for everyone.
• Easy access ramps;
• Adapted WC;
• Parking: car park for vehicles with reserved spaces for people with reduced mobility
• Electric carts for transporting people with disabilities and / or incapacities;
• Wheelchair traction equipment for autonomous visits *;
• Tactile plan for Serralves Heritage Assets (in progress);
• Accessible elevated vegetable gardens (in progress);
• Accessible gardening tables (in progress).
*the equipment items in question will only be made available to people who have already used them, or who can show they know how to use them, subject to signature of a declaration of responsibility.
Access to Content
• Guided tours in Portuguese Sign Language and International Sign (Language);
• Educational workshops for people with disabilities and / or incapacities (Educational Service);
• Educational workshops for people with disabilities and / or incapacities at major events;
• Audio description of Serralves Villa (in progress);
• Braille book “+ Serralves - a visit”;
• Accessible website;
• Mobile application with accessible content (in progress).
How to schedule guided visits / educational workshops
Serralves has been consolidating its connection with institutions dedicated to accompanying groups with special needs, through the organisation of continuous weekly or monthly programmes that enable visitors to discover the Foundation's heritage assets. The proposals are adapted to the unique characteristics of each group, aimed at awakening relational attitudes, developing autonomy, and strengthening the ability to concretise actions, always in collaboration with the respective experts.
How to order the wheelchair traction equipment (in progress)
In the framework of improving the quality of accessibility, visiting and enjoying the spaces of Serralves’ Heritage Assets, the Foundation offers devices that support universal mobility (support for electric carts and wheelchair traction equipment).
Equipment to support universal mobility (wheelchair traction equipment) * can be requested at the Museum’s ticket office.
* the equipment items in question will only be made available to people who have already used them, or who can show they know how to use them, subject to signature of a declaration of responsibility.
Where can I find the dates of Guided Visits in Portuguese Sign Language?
These visits are based on a proposal by the Serralves Educational Service in partnership with Laredo Cultural Association. This is an original initiative that aims to present the universe of Serralves Museum to people with hearing disabilities, in Portuguese Sign Language (LGP).
The visit in Portuguese Sign Language implies a creative process, spanning two moments:
a) Study of the selected exhibitions, in collaboration between the Laredo Cultural Association and the Serralves Museum’s Educational Service team.
b) Development of a stimulating interpretation / adaptation process in a visual-spatial language, in collaboration with people with hearing disabilities.
What is audio description and where can I find it?
Serralves Villa’s audio description will be provided via an application available for download on the Foundation's website, here.